Sunday, April 6, 2014

If you can feel it, do it

Over the past month and a half, I have been consumed with all things Zumba.  Therefore, my writing and blogging has taken a bit of a back seat. I realized that so here I am with a bit of an update on what's been happening.


Over the weekend of March 7th-9th, I was in Rockville, Maryland to become licensed to become a Zumba instructor. Yes, yours truly is now licensed to get butts in shape. However, this was not the only big change in my life; I finally got over my fear of driving alone out of state.


I know that this may not sound like such a big deal, but it was to me. I have been a late bloomer in life with many things my peers have already done. I didn't get my drivers license until two weeks before I turned 27 and got my first car a few months later. I also have yet to be out on my own. While that may seem somewhat pathethic, when you add about 70,000 bucks in school loans, you would have trouble moving out too.


However, everything happens for a reason, and you have to take your time. I do not complain because I have been blessed with so many other things and I know it's only a matter of time before I make that next leap. I was delayed with things such as a vehicle because I wasn't ready. Then I got it and still had to take sometime before I made my 3 and1/2 hour journey. All this was perfect because someday I want to relocate to Maryland and I now know how to get there. As I drove down, I felt a sense of peace that I had never felt. It was me, God, and my car and I knew I'd be just fine. I also began to think about what made me so fearful in the first place and discovered that doubt had been holding me hostage long enough. I am also becoming increasingly aware that my journey is unique; not the same as anyone else's and that I will do all that I need in time.


Going back to my journey to becoming a Zumba instructor...five years ago, I would have never imagined that I would even consider such a path. It took an awesome teacher, last year, to light that fire in my heart. I had never really been an exercise fanatic, but when I started to pack on weight ,developed high blood pressure, and hated the way I looked I knew I had to do something and Zumba seemed to be the answer. That was five years ago. I haven't started to formally teach yet but I am thrilled that I get to help other people get healthy and enjoy their lives. I am so happy to see how far I've come:


Another thing I have finally come to realize and accept is that it is perfectly ok to follow your first mind in any life situation. My view is that your first mind is God's mind. So many times we allow ourselves to second guess, or think that we have to be accommodating to people or situations when it is not good for us. If you can feel it...and it's good, go for it...do it.  If not, don't look back...just keep pushing forward with purpose.


Looking forward to blogging regularly again!

No comments:

Post a Comment