Saturday, August 31, 2013

To Twerk or Not To Twerk Part 2: Let the Blame Fall Equally

So I woke up this morning feeling like I needed to write an addendum to my previous post on twerking and the black girl. This is not due to negative feedback but more so a sort of evolved thought process that seemingly occurred overnight. If you need a refresher here's the link to the previous post:
http://confessionsofambw.blogspot.com/2013/08/to-twerk-or-not-to-twerk-black-girl.html

In the last paragraph of my post I state "All I am saying is that we need to do better in terms of making sure that the most positive and moral attributes of our culture are the first things that the others strive to imitate."  When I was writing that last line, I did feel it and still do, however I neglected to place the blame equally on all parties responsible.

Last night, when I wrote that last line, I wasn't thinking about history in context.  While I did mention in my post that twerking was an extension of the modern day minstrel show and the misrepresentation of the black woman's so- called sexual prowess, I did not do a good job of explaining why this dance was so visible.  In fact, it may have been perceived that I was blaming sista's solely for perpetuating the stereotypes.  Today I'm more clear headed.

We live in a country that clings steadfast to the past, that is, a past that is riddled with notions of superiority. These misconceptions of the black woman's sexuality are nothing new.  In this society, that is still dominated by racial superiority, it is no small wonder that these images are the more widely noticed and imitated rather than that of the professional and educated black woman.  Why on earth would the media and society want to lift her up when they've been portraying her as lewd, wild, and inferior for so long?

While I stand firm in my opinion that we as black women and people in general should showcase the most positive aspects of our culture and defy stereotypes, we are not solely to blame.  Let the blame fall equally on the powers that be, the media, and the strange legacy of racial degradation that still lives in this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment