Thursday, August 17, 2017

United We Stand

So, I was going to start this blog off talking about all the unholy shit that has gone down over the past few days.

You know: Racist people killing folk, racist leader applauding racist folk, terrorists killing folk...alt right-ers (still racist) threatening to come to my city, statues coming down (should they, shouldn't they?), how the world is going mad...and there's an eclipse...

That stuff.
But I decided that I could jaw all day long about how messed up things are, and it wouldn't make a difference.  I don't need to tell anyone that the world is super messy right now: they can see it, hear it, and feel it.  Some of us, have been living in this dystopia longer than others for reasons that make absolutely no sense under the Law of God but...here we are. No amount of bitching will fix that.  Only human intelligence and compassion can.

I am going to talk about how beautiful people are, instead.  How communities that seemed severed, were brought together in the wake of unspeakable violence.  How pastors stood on the front lines and linked arms.  How people came from near and far to honor a woman who died for the cause of peace, tolerance, and acceptance. How a mother, stricken with grief, was able to muster some sort of Godly strength to celebrate her beautiful child.  To Heather Heyer, we all say thank you for everything.

What I have seen over the last few days, is something that people would say wouldn't happen in a time like this.  I saw people coming together: all colors, all ethnicities, denominations...each consoling the other. I heard songs of joy and hope.  I heard "I will keep you safe."

The actors of Saturday, weren't counting on this.  They were counting on strife, derision, and division.  They thought that terror would drive us further apart and send us fleeing from each other.  They thought we would not trust each other. Of course the surprise is on them. 150 years ago, we fought a war to bring us back together in a "more perfect union."  Did they seriously think anyone would want to do that shit again? Nah, we're good.

In my previous post, I lamented the irony of a United States that was not so united. However, I am seeing through the struggles to be on the right side of history, we become united and bonded even more. I'm not going to tell you that everything is fine or that the nonsense is over, but I am going to say that if we stick together, we can make it through anything.

Don't let them win.

No comments:

Post a Comment